The Development of the Canon of the New Testament

Home | Authorities | Writings | Table | Lists | Places | Heresies | Miscellaneous | for more Information


Apostolic Fathers
codex Hierosolymitanus
Bibles of Constantine
Closing the Canon in the West
Closing the Canon in the East
The New Testament Books
The Quo Vadis? Legend
Hypertext Conventions
Revision History

Revision History

October 16, 2001
Entire site given a new domain name and rehosted on a Linux PC.

October 1, 2001
A major revamping was done. The files were split so there is now one file for each subject. Easier navigation was added, with the help of server side includes. Fixed many broken links, and added new colors.

July 25, 2001
Added more material to Closing the Canon in the West, Closing the Canon in the East, and the Decretum Gelasanium.

December 5, 1999
Added another link.

August 7, 1998
Added more English translations of most Apocryphal New Testament Writings.

July 22, 1998
Added translation of the Gospel of Peter by Henry Barclay Swete.

March 17, 1998
Added two more icons from Holy Transfiguration Monastery.

February 23, 1998
Fixed links to the latest translations at Christian Classics Ethereal Library. Fixed English translation of Tertullian's "De Cultu Feminarum".

December 17, 1997
Added links to English translations of more writings of the authorities.

November 11, 1997
Added a few new images, and links to other sites.

May 1, 1997
The RTF files were converted to HTML using Word 97. More HTML polishing, including revising the links, was done with a plain ASCII text editor. An AWK program helped with the cross-reference table. The resulting HTML files were then hosted on The section "Closing the Canon in the East" is new.

January 11, 1994
The first version was in the form of Windows 3.x RTF and HLP hypertext files. Here are some technical details on how this document was created. All the text was entered using Word for Windows 2.0; I did not use any special Word macro packages (e.g. WHAT) or 3rd party tools (e.g. RoboHelp). The small bitmaps and the icon were drawn with the Borland Resource Editor. The map was scanned at 150 dpi from [LHH] and corrected with Microsoft Paintbrush. The low resolution map was made with the Resource Editor. The hotspots were added with the Microsoft Hot Spot Editor. Most keywords were inserted automatically using a master list of keywords and some AWK programs I wrote that operate as RTF filters. The project was managed using a standard MAKEFILE. All the jumps and popups were done by hand. I used HCP version 3.10.504 as the help compiler.

Pages created by Glenn Davis, 1997-2010.
For additions, corrections, and comments send e-mail to